Here are links to some cool things to do in and around the Tampa Bay area.
FAIRS, FESTIVALS & SUCH:
- http://www.sarasotamedievalfair.com/ The Sarasota Medieval Fair, November 12-13 & 19-20, 2011. I actually have never had a chance to go to this but I think it will be lots of fun...if you like that kind of thing.
- http://www.rex-a-begaye.com/sarasota_native_american_indian_festival The 5th annual Sarasota Native American Indian Festival, January 27-30, 2012. I have been going to this festival since they started it, I LOVE it! It has a lot of great learning experiences, tons of great artist of all kinds and FRY BREAD!!! Oh you have to try the fry bread!
- Herrmanns' Royal Lipizzan Stallions The Original Lipizzan Stallions Of Austria. "See the fabulous flying white Lipizzans perform the rare and beautiful Airs Above the Ground Mounted as seen in Walt Disney's Miracle of the White Stallions". This is a really neat experience for the whole family! Go see the horses as they are in training through the winter season. You can see them weekly on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays starting December 22, 2011 through April 28, 2012. A $5 donation is requested but I think that is more than fair to get to see these horses up close!
ARTS & MUSEUMS:
- http://www.moreanartscenter.org/ The Morean Arts Center in St. Petersburg is awesome and its at a very reasonable price! In my opinion, its a great way to spend a day!
- http://fine-arts.org/ The Museum of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg is great! Price is a little high but there is a lot to see and you could definitely spend most of the day there. I really enjoyed it and look forward to going back.
- http://thedali.org/ The Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg was very interesting. I did not enjoy it that much but it was nice to see a talented artist's works.
- http://www.sarasotajunglegardens.com/jungle/index.php The Sarasota Jungle Gardens is a pretty cool place; you get some animals, shows, food, lots of picture taking opportunities and the price is ok. It is not as big as you think it is though, but if you're looking to get out and do something for the afternoon (or morning) it is a neat place.
- http://www.selby.org/ The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens I just love! As an amateur photographer I can spend all day there easy. It is a beautiful place to take pictures, have parties, eat lunch or just take a stroll, and they have various events there throughout the year. The price is ok but better if you become a member, and if you live in the Sarasota area I would suggest becoming a member because you'll be there all the time (or at least I would be).
- http://sarasotachildrensgarden.com/ The Sarasota Children's Garden...one word...AWESOME! If you have young kids and live in the Tampa Bay area, this is a must do. It is a little pricy, but it's worth it.