Monday, February 27, 2012

Survival Week

Last week is over...and what a long week it was. My parents and I watched the kids (my niece, age 7, and nephew, age 9) all week while my sister, Beth, and her husband, Rob, went on a cruise.

As most of you probably know by now, I'm not much of a kid person. Not to say I don't like kids, I just like them in moderation...and then only if they're pleasant to be around. I do enjoy my friends kids, and even babysit them from time to time. However, the reason I can do that is because it's always for just a few hours at a time, then I get to give them back to their parents and be on my marry way. But this last week was a bit different; we had the kids 24 hours a day, non-stop for 8 days. I wake up, they're there. I eat, they're there. I go to bed, and they're there! This is one of the big reasons why I do not want children of my own; most days I'm doing good to just take care of myself, I don't need, or want, the constant responsibility of having to watch over a child. Please don't get me wrong, I think it's great if other people want to do it, it's just not for me.

With the previous experiences, in various forms, of dealing with children that I've had in the past, I've had a pretty good idea of what it's like to have a child, at least to a small extent. This last week, however, gave me a very good "trail" of what it's really like, and though I passed, it just confirms that I am not the mothering type and definitely would not want that kind of life for myself. I know everyone tells me "it's different when it's your own child" and I'm sure that's true, but to be perfectly honest, it boils down to the fact that I am just to selfish to want to give up my life, my freedom, my sleep, etc. for very long if I don't feel like it...and most of the time, I don't feel like it! I have always respected the parents that I know, because I know that however hard I may think their job is, I probably still have no idea how difficult it truly is. And the experience of this past week just gives me even more respect for the parents that are actually being parents and committing to a life a servitude to take care of their children.

We made it through this week, even with my momma and myself being sick, with bronchitis, and my daddy still having to be home and taking it easy after his motorcycle accident. It was pretty rough at times, three sick adults does not one healthy adult make. But even with all the coughing and achy bodies, we managed to make the best of our time together and actually had some fun! The children, bless their hearts, even said that they'd rather live with us and just go visit their daddy and step-mother (my sister) every once in a while. I know that came out of mostly just the problems they have at home, but it was still really sweet to hear.

As much as I did truly enjoy getting to spend time with them and know them better, I am glad they are gone now. I don't do too well with the invasion of my space, my home, or especially my bathroom! But I put up with it at times because I love the people that come visit us and in the end it's worth the hassle to be able to spend time with them.

I will miss the munchkins, and my sister and her husband, and I'm glad I had this opportunity to be with them this past week. As much as I don't want children of my own, I think I'm going to enjoy being the fun aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment